Monday, September 22, 2008

Being Here

I have been thinking a lot lately about being here. What this means to me, what this means to the people I come into contact with while I am here, what I want to get out of this experience, how I want to behave here, and really thinking about who I am in this place. Because, when you take a person out of their habitat, away from all of the people that you know and feel comfortable around, and most importantly, take away the ability to speak a language in which you are able to freely express yourself, I think that you are given an unique opportunity to take a moment and think about who you are outside of any reasonable and logical context.
It is a very exciting time to be in this country, for a variety of reasons that the U.S. media discusses on a daily basis. But really, being here, it is more of a feeling than anything else. Because I like to be as ambiguous and say things that can be interpreted in a number of ways. Also, because some things are difficult to describe in words, English, Chinese, or otherwise. I am taking a One on One class that involves a professor and I sitting for an hour and a half twice a week and discussing how much China has changed over the past 30 years. It is really beyond my ability to comprehend what China looked like 30 years ago, and before. I would certainly not be here studying if it were thirty years ago. I would not be fumbling about with the hardest language in the world spewing from my mouth, trying to discuss philosophical and cultural differences, as well as favorite American T.V. shows and movies with endlessly patient Chinese people (they are not all endlessly patient, but the ones that are I am very grateful for).
Sometimes it is too easy to lose these feelings of awe and bewilderment in the face of endless hours of homework that involves infinite and monotonous character writing. I am actively trying to remember as often as possible. Everytime I am understood, and everytime I am written off because I cannot understand, and everytime I walk down the street.
I am here, I am small, confused, sometimes frustrated, often misunderstood, and always completely and utterly fascinated by a life that overwhelms me everyday.

5 comments:

Aunt Maxine said...

Dear Lexi,
I love your blog! (I also love you.) It sounds like you are having an amazing adventure, yet another life-altering experience in your journey. You are brave and funny, and I imagine both of those traits are coming in handy.
Saw your mother and Aunt Bonnie last weekend at Alec Schulman's bar mitzvah in Atlanta. A good time was had by all. Not much new here. Uncle Joel's giving a lot of speeches and media interviews about the vice presidency. I've got a bit too much work (hence this diversion). Best wishes for a happy, healthy New Year.
Love, Aunt Maxine

Evan said...

The Red Sox clinched a playoff berth. The Yankees were officially eliminated from postseason contention.

Keep the updates coming on your end.

I'll leave you with this:
Runnerrbl: Have you been in touch with Lexi recently? Do you know she's getting a new roommate?
PLAYER EL: yea
PLAYER EL: it's cause she smells
Runnerrbl: I don't think so-
PLAYER EL: she admitted it
Runnerrbl: when
PLAYER EL: the other day
Runnerrbl: she said it wasn't because she is smelly

Lexi said...

I love IM conversations with Ramie.

Unknown said...

Lexi - you are a philosopher, an adventurer, an optimist, AND you have a great sense of humor! I loved this posting - about trying to understand where you are and trying to appreciate it all despite having to learn thousands of Chinese characters. Will you take me to China sometime? It's amazing how much exploring you are doing, and how big the spiders are! Your mom just brought me the most beautiful Challah. Things in the US continue to be less than inspiring - between the presidential campaign and the economy appearing to implode - I think it's a good time for you to be overseas. Wishing you a wonderful, healthy, happy, and adventurous New Year. Love - Barbara

Zach said...

Lexi, I just now discovered your blog; I love how you people always hold out on me.

I'm very much enjoying it and I'm so proud of you! Wa to be!