Monday, January 26, 2009

Chinese New Year in Kunming

My parents and I are currently in Kunming, where last night the Chinese New Year was celebrated through the setting off of fireworks, launching flaming Chinese lanterns into the air, and of course the traditional Chinese custom of drinking lots of beer. My parents got to feel young again (whether they wanted to or not), which led to us all not sleeping as much as we would have liked. Today it was kind of cloudy and overcast, but definitely warmer and less polluted than Beijing. We did some walking around, weaving our way through the crowds. I am pretty excited because tomorrow I get the key to my new apartment and can start moving some of my stuff in. I am looking forward to having a home in one place for a while after a lot of moving around over the past two months or so. On Wednesday, my parents and I set off on our week of trekking. We are hoping that it won't rain on us too much while we are in the woods. We have been eating well.

No comments: